It was beautiful, it rolled around in the glass beaker like something from a science fiction Does mercury give fumes at room temperature?.does what season episode
Mercury is a silvery metal that is liquid at room temperature. It is very dense, which means that it is very heavy even if you don't have very much of it. One tablespoon of mercury would weigh almost 8 ounces grams this is heavy enough for metal objects like coins to float in it! Mercury has been known since ancient times. It was known to the Chinese and Hindus. In fact, a Chinese emperor's tomb had a map of China inside, with the seas made of mercury.
Liquid mercury vaporizes evaporates at room temperature causing elevated levels of mercury in indoor air. Mercury vapor is not irritating and has no odor, so people do not know when they are breathing it. Even the small amount of mercury from a broken thermometer can cause harm, especially to children, unless it is properly cleaned up and removed. Mercury may be found in thermometers, thermostats, blood pressure units, barometers and gas pressure regulators. Exposure to mercury can occur when people handle or play with the liquid metal, or when a measuring device breaks and mercury beads scatter onto floors or other surfaces.
Image adapted from: David Menidrey; CC0. Mars is made up primarily of iron, magnesium, sulfur, acids and CO 2. Based on the make-up of the planet and atmosphere, researchers have concluded that Mars smells like rotten eggs. And what about Uranus, the universal butt of all jokes? Our close neighbour Venus smells likeyep, you guessed itrotten eggs thanks once again to sulfur dioxide. But since no human has directly visited any of these planets, how do we know how they smell? Researchers use a range of methods, including studying their chemical composition and using techniques such as spectroscopy, which detects individual wavelengths of light emitted by particular molecules.
Chat or rant, adult content, spam, insulting other members, show more. Harm to minors, violence or threats, harassment or privacy invasion, impersonation or misrepresentation, fraud or phishing, show more.
Back to Accidents, first aid and treatments. Some thermometers and light bulbs contain very small amounts of mercury. If you break one, it's unlikely to cause any health problems. However, you should avoid contact with the mercury and take extra care when cleaning it up. Mercury is a metal that's liquid at room temperature.
A broken mercury-containing thermometer can be toxic if the vapors are inhaled. The risk of poisoning from touching or swallowing mercury from a broken thermometer is low if appropriate clean-up measures are taken. A fever can be a sign of an infection or other medical condition, so it is useful to check body temperature with a thermometer. Temperatures can be checked in the mouth, rectum, armpit, and ear as well as across the forehead. Thermometers use a variety of technologies to measure body temperature. The oldest technology is the mercury-in-glass thermometer.